A district with both agriculture and industrial activities at their
heights. Bandel Charch, Debanandapur, the birthplace of Sarat Chandra
Chatterjee, Joyrambati and Kamarpukur with its connection to the
life of Ramakrishna and Sarada Devi are the places of attraction
in the district.
Hooghly was founded in 1537 by the Portuguese while Chinsura / Chunchura
was the site of a Dutch factory built in 1656. They later passed
into British hands. The main attraction is the large mosque - the
Hooghly Imambara which was built in the 19th century.
Bansberia is about 15 kms north of the Hooghly. The temple complex
here has two temples. The smaller is the Vasudeva brick temple built
in 1679. It has terracotta carvings. The larger temple with thirteen
towers is the Hangsheswari temple and was built in the 19th century.
Bandel de Hooghly was founded in 1580 by the Portuguese. They carried
out slave trade from here. A flourishing town (for the wrong reasons)
it was destroyed, in 1632, by the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan (who
built the Taj Mahal at Agra). The Church of our Lady of Bandel was
consecrated in 1599. It was later rebuilt after the ransacking of
Barrackpore is about 24 kms north of Calcutta and lies opposite
to Serampore. It probably derives its name from being the military
barracks of the company forces. It still serves as a cantonment.
The main attraction today is the Gandhi ghat on the banks of the
All the towns except Barrackpore are on the left bank of the river
Hooghly. The G.T Road (NH 2) starts from Howrah and passes through
all these towns except Barrackpore. The bridges across the river
Hooghly provide the connection to Calcutta.
Frequent Suburban train services for all the towns (except Barrackpore)
are available from Howrah Station. From Sealdah North, to get to
the towns on the opposite bank, one has to change trains at Bally
General Information & Accomdation info on Chunchura city of
West Bengal - India