Kanpur is the biggest city of the state and is main centre of commercial
and industrial activities. Formerly known as Manchester of the country
is now also called the commercial capital of the state.
It is situated on the most important national highways no. 2 &
25 and state highway. It is also situated on the main Delhi-Howrah
railway trunk line. It is situated on bank of holy river Ganga and
is about 126 meters above the sea level. Presently there is no civilian
air-service available for the city but a 9,000 feets air strip is
available at civilian air terminal Chakeri (Ahirwan). The nearest
civilian air port Amausi (Lucknow) is 70Km. away from Kanpur.
Kanpur Memorial Church
The Kanpur Memorial Church was built in 1875, in honour of the British
who lost their lives in the war of 1857. The Church was designed
by Walter Granville, architect of the east Bengal Railway. The complete
Church in Lombardic gothic style is handsomely executed in bright
red brick, with polychrome dressings. The interior contains monuments
to the mutiny, including several memorial tablets.In the separate
enclosure to the east of the church is the Memorial Garden, approached
through two gateways. Here the handsome carved gothic screen, designed
by Henry Yule, stands. Its centre is occupied by the beautiful carved
figure of an angle by Baron Carlo Marochetti, with crossed arms,
holding palons, symbol of peace. Originally the statue and the screen
stood in the Municipal Gardens in the centre of the city, over the
site of the Bibighar well. The memorials were relocated here after
independence in 1948. The Military Cemetery on the edge of the cantonment
contains a number of interesting graves from the late 19th century.
Within the city the king Edward VII memorial hall is noteworthy
and Christ Church building, built in 1840.
The mound of Jajmau, on the eastern end of the city occupies a high
place among ancient sities of the region. Excavations of the mound
were undertaken during 1957-58 which unearthed antiquities ranging
from 600 BC to 1600 AD. Jajmau,known as Siddhapuri in ancient times,
is supposed to have been the kingdom of Yayati, the Pauranic king
and the high mound overhanging the Ganga is known as the site of
Today, Jajmau houses the Siddhnath and Siddha Devi temples and
the mousoleium of Makhdum Shah Ala-ul-Haq, the famous Sufi saint,
built by Firoz Shah Tughlaq in 1358. A mosque built by Kulich Khan
in 1679 also stands here.
Shri Radhakrishna Temple
Beautifully constructed, J.K. temple is a boon to the devotees.
Built by J.K. Trust this architectural delight is a unique blend
of ancient architecture with the modern. The even-level roofs o
the mandaps have been provided with adequate ventilation for sufficient
light and air. Among the five shrines that the temple has the central
one s consecrated to Shri Radhakrishna and the other are adorned
with idols of Shri Laxminarayan, Shri. Ardhanarishwar, Shri Narmadeshwar
and Shri Hanuman.
Jain Glass Temple
It is situated in Maheshwari Mohal behind the Kamla Tower. It is
a beautiful temple highly decorated with glass and enamel works.
Allen Forest Zoo
The Kanpur Zoo was opend in 1971 and ranks among one of the best
zoos in the country. It is an ideal place for outdoor life and picnics
amongst picturesque surroundings. Phone: 543678.
Lies to the west of the Agricultural College in immediate neighbourhood
of the Allen Forest. It is under the possession of Singhania family
and is a beauty spot of the city. There is a swimming tank with
an equipment for producing artificial waves and suitable arrangement
for lighting. Besides parks and a canal with facilities for boating,
a zoo is also maintained.
Kamla Retreat also houses a museum which has a good collection
of historical and archaeological artifacts. Visitors are allowed
only with prior permission from:; Deputy General Manager (Administration),
Kamla Tower, Kamalanagar, Kanpur.
It is a beautiful park in the heart of the city on the Mall Road.
In the centre of the park is a building known as Ganesh Shanker
Vidyarthi Memorial (K.E.M. Hall). After the first World War there
was an Orthopaedic Rehabilitation Hospital in this building. It
is now known as Ganesh Udyan.
Nana Rao Park
To the west of Phool Bagh is located the Nana Rao Park. It is the
site of the `Bibighar of 1857. The Park was renamed as Nana
Rao Park after independence.
Dwarka Dhish Temple
Situated adjacent to Kamla Tower, this temple is dedicated to the
worship of Lord Krishna.
The jhoola dedicated during sravan is worth viewing in this Temple.
Allen Forest Zoo
Situated beyond Nawab Ganj, north of Kanpur, it is a well known
picnic spot and has forest training school.This vast forest possesses
well maintained zoo which abounds in the rare species of animals.
Green Park Stadium
This is the best & the most famous play ground of Kanpur.International
cricket matches are held here and is considered to have one of the
best pitches in the world.
The nearest airport is Amausi, Lucknow, 65 km. Flights to New Delhi,
Mumbai, Calcutta, Patna, Varanasi are available.
Connections to all the major stations of the country by express,
super-fast and passenger trains.
Kanpur is connected by road with all the major cities of the country.
It is situated on National Highway No. 2 on the Delhi-Agra-Allahabad-Calcutta
route and on National Highway No. 25 on the Lucknow-Jhansi-Shivpuri
Buses of the Uttar Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation and
the SRTCs of neighbouring states connect Kanpur to various centres
in the region, such as Lucknow, Allahabad, Varanasi, Agra, Unnao,
Rae Bareilly, Kannauj and Jhansi.
General Information & Accomdation info on Kanpur city of Uttar Pradesh - India