Lake Palace, Udaipur
The Lake Palace is located on the Jag Niwas Island and covers the
whole of 1.5 hectare of the island in the middle of the Pichola
Lake. Built by Maharana Jagat Singh in 1743 it was meant as a royal
summer palace and now converted in to a five star palace hotel.
The City Palace,
Located in the heart of the walled city, The City Palace Complex
gives you an idea about the far sightedness of the founder of Jaipur
Sawai Jai Singh. He left behind a legacy of some of the most imposing
and magnificent architecture, art and craft structure in the city.
Jai Singh built the outer walls but its many buildings were built
later and some of them date in the twentieth century too.
City Palace or Vinay Vilas Mahal,
The City Palace was built in 1793 A.D. by Raja Bakhtawar Singh.
It represents a intermingling of Rajput and Mughal stvles. It has
graceful marble pavilions set on lotus flower bases in the central
The Taragarh Palace,
It was built in 1345 and is great ramble around at leisure. This
is rather a ramshackle fort, with its overgrown vegetation. The
view over the town and surrounding countryside from the top are
magical, especially at sun set
Padminis Palace, Chittorgarh
It is built
beside the lotus pool with a historical pavilion that changed the
history of Chittor. Ala-ud-din saw the reflection of Queen Padmini
from here and so mesmerized was he, that the quest of possessing
her led to a furious battle which saw the last of Maharana Ratan
Singh (husband of Maharani Padmini) and the epitome of beauty-Cleopatra
of Rajasthan, became an eternal legend in the history of chittor
and also of the Mewar state.
Fateh Prakash Palace, Chittorgarh
Chittorgarh Fort is a massive structure with a 1 kilometre zigzag
accent to it. The road leads through seven gates to the main gate
Rampol (meaning Gate of Ram). On the climb between the second and
third gate you see two Chattris cenotaphs built to honour Jaimull
and Kulla heroes of 1568 siege by Emperor Akbar.
Rana Kumbha Palace,
The ruined edifice of great historical and architectural interest,
being the most massive monument in the fort of Chittaur. The palace
is believed to have underground cellars where Rani Padmini and other
women committed Jauhar.
This grand palace is an architectural masterwork in red sandstone,
and was built by Maharaja
Ganga Singh Ji in the memory of his father Maharaja Lal Singh Ji
in 1902. Sir Swinton Jacob designed this oriental fantasy. This
architecture is a fusion of Rajput, Mughal and European architecture.
The exterior contrasts dramatically with the oriental interiors
Umaid Bhawan Palace,
Maharaja Umaid Singhji who built this palace was fascinated with
western lifestyles so he marshalled the services of a well-known
Edwardian architect, Henry Vaughan Lanchester, a creditable equal
of Edward Lutyens (architect of New Delhi) to construct a three
hundred and forty seven roomed Umaid Palace.
Jag Niwas Palace, Udaipur
The first island palace of Lake Pichola, Jagmandir was constructed
by Maharana Karan Singhji in 1622 AD and was intended to be a pleasure
palace for imperial parties and functions. It has served as a shelter
for Moghul Emperor Shahjahan when he was a prince against the wrath
of his father in the seventeenth century.
The City Palace, Udaipur
City Palace towers over the Pichola Lake. Maharana Uday Singh initiated
in the construction of the palace but succeeding Maharanas added
several palaces and structures to the complex retained a surprising
uniformity to the design. The entry to the Palace is from the Hati
Pol, the Elephant gate. The Bari Pol or the Big gate brings you
to the Tripolia, the Triple gate.
Two architect brothers built
it in the 19th century. Interestingly, while one concentrated on
the right, the other concentrated on the left and the result is
a symphony epitomising the side by side symmetry during construction.
Paintings in miniature style monopolise the walls in the interior.
Mighty tuskers carved out of yellow sandstone stand guard to the
This is one of the largest and most elaborate Haveli in Jaisalmer
and stands in a narrow lane. It is five storeys high and is extensively
carved. It is divided into six apartments, two owned by archaeological
Survey of India, two by families who operate craft-shops and two
private homes. There are remnants of paintings on some of the inside
walls as well as some mirror work.
Information on Tours & Travel excursion of Rajasthan - india