a town in the Gwalior division of northwest M.P. It is the administrative
headquarters of Shivpuri district. Shivpuri is very ancient town
and a sacred place. It is named for the God Shiva. The district
is mostly laid out over small hill tops covered with deciduous forests
where the slope is gentle with verdant vegetation and good forests
round about, the landscape is generally pleasing. Shivpuri's dense
forests were the hunting grounds of the Mughal emperors when Emperor
Akbar captured great herds of elephants.
Today Shivpuri is a sanctuary for rare wildlife and avian fauna.
Its royal past has thus been transformed into a vibrant, hopeful
present. With its luxuriant forests and undulating hills, Shivpuri
is chosen as the summer resort capital of the Scindias. Shivpuri's
royal ambience lives on in the exquisite palaces and hunting lodges
and graceful, intricately embellished marble Chhatris (cenotaphs)
erected by the Scindia rulers.
Shivpuri is situated at an altitude of 1515 feet
above sea level and located at 25°40' North, 77°44' East
of latitude and longitude. The district is bounded on the North
by Morena, Gwalior and Datia districts, on the east by Jhansi district
of U.P, on the West by Kota district of Rajasthan and on the South
by Guna district. The district headquarter Shivpuri is located on
NH-3 (Agra-Bombay National Highway) at a 113 Km from Gwalior and
98 Km from Guna.
Shivpuri was known earlier by the name 'Sipri'.
The Shivpuri was mentioned during Mughal times in 1564 when Emperor
Akbar halted at this place. During that period it formed a part
of Narwar Sarkar. Shivpuri was awarded as Jagir to the Kachwahas
of Narwar in the 17th Century. It came under the rule of the Scindias
in 1804, who granted it to one of their Marathas generals by name
Ingle. Later, it was transferred to the HEIC in 1817 under a treaty,
but the Scindias regained it in 1818.
Tatya Tope was awarded death sentence on April 17, 1859 by British
Raj for his part in the Revolt of 1857 in nearby Jhansi. He was
hanged to death in Shivpuri, at a site near the present collectorate.
Maharaja Madhav Rao Scindia paid attention towards the development
of Shivpuri. He constructed a big palace and also developed the
city. It was the summer capital of Gwalior State and government
offices were shifted here in summer months. Shivpuri was constituted
as a district in erstwhile Madhya Bharat and continues as such with
practically no change since 1951.
General Information & Accomdation info on Shivpuri city of Madhya
Pradesh - India