Ernakulam is the main business and commercial town of Cochin. It
has today come to represent a state of mind for the youth of Kerala.
The destination of the adventurous and the ambitious. Today Ernakulam
symbolizes the future of Kerala, as this City with a future paces
ahead.The citys suburbs feature mostly residential colonies
and small commercial enterprises.
The Cochin Club
The club, with its impressive library and collection of sporting
trophies, is housed in a beautifully landscaped park. In the early
1900s, when the club had just become operational, admission was
restricted to the British and to men only. Today, though the club
retains its traditional English ambience, its rules are more liberal
and the membership of 250 includes women as well. Strangely enough,
alcohol is not served on the premises.
(Dutch Palace) (Open 1000 - 1700 hrs. Closed on Fridays): Built
by the Portuguese in 1557 and presented to Raja Veera Kerala Varma
of Kochi, the palace was renovated in 1663 by the Dutch. On display
here are beautiful murals depicting scenes from the epics, Ramayana
and Mahabharata, and some of the Puranic Hindu legends. The palace
also houses Dutch maps of old Kochi, royal palanquins, coronation
robes of former maharajas of Kochi as well as period furniture.
This lovely beach bordering Vypeen island is ideal for swimming.
Dolphins are occasionally seen here. A typical Kerala village with
paddy fields and coconut groves nearby is an added attraction.
This island is famous for its palace of the same name. The Bolghatty
Palace was built in 1744 by the Dutch and later taken over by the
British. Today it is a hotel run by the Kerala Tourism Development
Corporation, with a small golf course and special honeymoon cottages.
Named after Lord Willingdon, a former British Viceroy of India,
this man-made island is surrounded by beautiful backwaters. The
island is the site of the city's best hotels and trading centres,
the Port Trust and the headquarters of the southern naval command.
Chinese Fishing Nets / Vasco da Gama Square
These huge cantilevered fishing nets are the legacy of one of the
first visitors to the Malabar Coast. Erected here between 1350 and
1450 AD by traders from the court of Kublai Khan, these nets are
set up on teak wood and bamboo poles. The best place to watch the
nets being lowered into the sea and catch being brought in is the
Vasco da Gama Square, a narrow promenade that runs along the beach.
The Square is an ideal place to idle, with stalls serving fresh
delicious seafood, tender coconut etc.
Built in 1503 by Portuguese Franciscan friars, this is Indias
oldest European church. This was initially built of timber and later
reconstructed in stone masonry. It was restored in 1779 by the Protestant
Dutch, converted to an Anglican church by the British in 1795 and
is at present governed by the Church of South India. Vasco da Gama
was buried here in 1524 before his remains were moved to Lisbon,
Portugal. The tombstone still remains.
Santa Cruz Basilica
This historic church was built by the Portuguese and elevated to
a Cathedral by Pope Paul IV in 1558. In 1795 it fell into the hands
of the British when they took over Kochi, and was demolished. About
a hundred years later Bishop Dom Gomez Ferreira commissioned a new
building at the same site in 1887. The church was proclaimed a Basilica
in 1984 by Pope John Paul II.
Loafers Corner / Princess Street
One of the earliest streets to be constructed in Fort Kochi, Princess
Street with its European style residences still retains its old
world charm. The best view of this quaint street can be had from
Loafers Corner, the traditional meeting place and hangout
of the jovial funloving people of the area.
Believed to have been the residence of Vasco da Gama, this is one
of the oldest Portuguese residences in Fort Kochi. Built in the
early sixteenth century, Vasco House sports the typical European
glass paned windows and balcony cum verandahs characteristic of
The four acre Parade Ground was where once the Portuguese, the Dutch
and the British colonists conducted their military parades and drills.
The buildings around the ground housed their defence establishments.
Today, the largest open ground in Fort Kochi, the Parade Ground
is a sports arena.
This bastion of the Portuguese in Kochi was a symbol of the strategic
alliance between the Maharajah of Kochi and the Monarch of Portugal,
after whom it was named. Built in 1503, the fort was reinforced
in 1538. By 1806 the Dutch, and later the British, had destroyed
most of the fort walls and its bastions. Today, remains of this
once imposing structure can be seen along the beach.
Cochin Airport is linked by direct services of Indian airlines and
East-West Airlines to Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Goa, Bangalore and
Periodical Ship services ply to Lakshdweep Islands.
Ernakulam Junction and Ernakulam Town Station are connected to most
Cochin is well connected to several important destinations. Bus
services-both government and private-are available to Alleppey,
Quilon, Trivandrum, Thekkady, Munnar, Palaghat, Calicut, Bangalore,
Mysore, Madurai, Chennai, Pondicherry, Kanniyakumari, Erode, Tuticorin
By Local Transport
There are plenty of private bus services which service Cochin and
Nearby towns. Yellow-To Taxis and autorickshaws are available. Luxury
coaches and tourist taxix can be hired from KTDC and private taxi
General Information & Accomdation info on Ernakulam city of Kerala - India