Mandvi is located on the banks of the Rukmavati River, barely one
km away from the Arabian Sea at the Gulf of Kutch. It is situated
at 22°51' N and 68°32' E in the Kuchh district of Gujarat.
The town was a summer retreat of Kutch Maharos. The establishment
of the town dates back to the late sixteenth century (1581 AD).
The town was established by first Jadeja ruler of Kutch- Rao Khengarji.
Mandvi was a originally a fortified town having a fort wall of
about 8 m high and 1.2m wide stone masonry. The fort had several
gateways and 25 bastions; but at present, most of the wall has disappeared.
The bastion on the southwest is largest and acts as a lighthouse.
In the heydays of maritime trade, before the arrival of steamboats,
it was a rich and prosperous town earning four times more revenue
from export than import. It was a profit-making centre of the Kutch
State surpassing the capital city of Bhuj, in terms of wealth. In
18th century, the Mandvi merchants collectively owned a fleet of
400 vessels trading with East Africa, Malbar and the Persian Gulf.
In the early 19th century, it was a major port of entry for the
inland trade with Malwa, Marwar and Sindh. Mandvi was at the junction
of two famous trade routes- the maritime spice trade route and the
desert- camel- caravan route. The latter acted as an important trade
centre. Mandvi was a town of merchants and seamen, both mutually
benefiting from each other.
General Information & Accomdation info on Mandvi city of Gujarat