Jamnagar was called Nawanagar, or the new city and one of the most
important princely states of Saurashtra. It was the capital of the
former princely State of Navanagar, under the rule of the Jadeja
Rajputs. The city is called Jamnagar or the city of Jams, after
its founder Jam Raval.
Jamnagar was originally a fortified town with several gateways,
on a confluence of two rivers- Nagmati and Rangmati. It is situated
at 22° 27' N and 70° 07' E.
Today, the 200-km long Jamnagar coast, is known for its industries
with Essar, Reliance, Tata and numerous other industrial giants
in the region. Jamnagar itself is a center for the brass industry,
Bandhini fabrics and Zari sarees. Visitors to Jamnagar cannot long
remain oblivious to its princely past.
The Jamnagar district was originally constituted as Halar district.
It is not only recent in its origin but also in its modern set up.
But the region is of great antiquity and dates back to ancient periods
of Jamnagar. According to Pauranik literature, after his migration
from Mathura, Lord Krishna established his kingdom at Dwarka, now
in Jamnagar district. The Jams of Nawanagar are believed to have
been descended from this Yadava race.
city was founded by Jam Raval in 1540 AD. His Highness Jam Ranjitsinhji
(between 1920 - 1930) developed the city according to western architecture.
He built PowerHouse, Vibha Vilas Palace, Jam Bunglow (Bhavendra
Vilas Palace), Pratap Vilas Palace, Mann Vilas, Amar Vilas, Arch
Vilas, Badminton House, Filtzer House, Coach House, Irwin Hospital
and Solarium. Sajuba Girls' High School, Bedi Bunder, Infantry Lines,
Jam Raval's Statue, Nursing School, Dayaram Library, Post Office,
Central Bank, Railway Station, Parsi Agiyari, Anandabava Ashram
and extention of Lal Bunglow are some of the other important places.
The city was planned using the urban design elements of axial roads,
arcades, markets, entrance gates, clock towers, Town Square, parks,
gardens and residential plots.
His Highness Digvijaysinhji (1933 - 1948) was the successor after
His Highness Jam Ranjitsinhji. He built Digvijay Woollen Mills,
Aerodrome, Dhanvantri Mandir, Digvijay Plot, Gulabnagar, Valsura,
and Ranjit Swimming Pool.
The present district takes its name from the city and capital of
Jamnagar so named after the rulers who styled themselves as Jams.
The Halar district was constituted for the first time in the year
1949 after the merger of princely states into the state of Saurashtra.
It constituted of the former Indian states of Nawanagar and Dhrol,
Dhrafa Thana and part of Jalia Dewani. After re-organization several
territorial changes were effected in practically all the districts
On June 19th 1959, the adjoining State of Okhamandal was incorporated
to Halar district when Halar was renamed Jamnagar. This district
became part of the newly born State of Gujarat on the bifurcation
of the Composite State of Bombay on May 1st 1960. In the year 1961
the district consisted of 720 villages and 15 towns.
General Information & Accomdation info on Jamnagar city of Gujarat