Bhavnagar is located on the eastern coast of Saurashtra, also
known as Kathiawar, a peninsular part of the state of Gujarat, in
the western region of India at sea level.
It is situated 21°27'60" N and 72°6'60" E. It
is 203 km from Ahmedabad and 690 km from Mumbai (Bombay).
Bhavsinhji Gohil (1703 - 64 AD) founded Bhavnagar in 1723 AD near
the Gulf of Khambhat, on a carefully chosen strategic location having
potential of maritime trade. Until independence, the Gohil Rajput
clan ruled the Bhavnagar State. The Gohil Rajputs came to Gujarat
from Marvar in 1260 AD and had 3 capitals- Sejakpur, Umrala and
Sihor; before finally establishing Bhavnagar as their capital.
The old town of Bhavnagar was a fortified town with gates leading
to other important towns of the region. The Darbargadh (royal residence)
was located at the center of the town. The rulers of Bhavnagar subsequently
shifted to Motibaugh and Nilambaugh Palace.
Bhavnagar remained major port, for almost two centuries, trading
commodities with Africa, Mozambique, Zanzibar, Singapore and the
Persian Gulf. This flourishing maritime trade resulted in the high
rate of urbanization, surplus wealth and cosmopolitan culture of
Present day Bhavnagar owes much to the vision of the past ruler
Sir Takhtsinhji Gohil (1869 - 96 AD). The town planning schemes
were designed and implemented under the guidance of progressive
rulers of Bhavnagar. During the reign of Sir Takhtsinhji, the British
State Engineer Proctor Sims supervised the construction of Barton
Library, High Court, Alfred High School and Sir Takhtsinhji Hospital.
General Information & Accomdation info on Bhavnagar city of
Gujarat - India